Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Crazy Day


Today was day three of Rick's chemo.   The morning started out a little rough for the "tough" guy that Rick is.   The nurse had a really hard time getting his IV in today which resulted in the suggestion that Rick should get a port put in his chest.  From what we understand it is a device that is placed in his chest where the IV can easily be inserted and removed on treatment days.  The port would remain in his chest until he is done with chemo.  We are going to a doctors appointment tomorrow to discuss the surgery.  We are probably looking at first of next week for the surgery. By having the port put in we would eliminate Rick having to have a new IV put in his arm everyday.  He has been tolerating the chemo pretty well while we are at the treatment clinic but it is a much different story when we get home.  Today for instance he came home, tried to go to bed, started feeling nauseous,  started craving bean soup (which I never make), tried to eat the bean soup I whipped together, and then decided to go to bed again.     Please pray that the nausea would not get too bad.   I keep reminding myself it is alot like being pregnant!  You are hungry one minute then sick the next.  

Speaking of pregnant.....are you dying to know the gender!  Rick was able to go with me to the appointment today and we were able to see our sweet little PRINCESS!!!!  We are elated that we are having another girl!  I had convinced myself it would be a boy so we are surprised and excited to have another girl!    

We are encouraged by everyone who has called, sent cards, and sent emails.  Please continue to pray for Rick and I.  Please pray specifically that the medicine would have minimal effects on Rick's appetite and nausea.    Thank you again for all the love and support!

Kelli

8 comments:

molly said...

Just checking in before going to bed...and I am glad I did!!! Another girl, how exciting each of your children will have all types of sibling relationships, it is perfect. I hate to hear that the chemo is taking a toll, I can't begin to imagine what it is like. All our love

Di said...

I am so excited to hear you will be blessed with another baby girl! We are praying for you all. The blog really helps us know exactly what your prayer needs are. Thanks for taking the time to share. Trusting the Lord for Rick's healing. love, the Vandernoord family

Judy LaRowe said...

We love you guys so much! We are praying everyday. I am so excited that you all are having a girl! This is my prayer for you today - Psalm 5:11-12 "Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name my rejoice in You. For surely, O Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield" Love you, Judy and Mark

brittany said...

congratulations on another girl. we are praying for you all.

Jane Kitching said...

This is for you today...Psalms 119:49 "Remember your Word to your servant, for you are my hope." We are praying for God's grace to bring you each rest and peace today as God works through medical science for healing. Love to your precious family! Russ & Jane

kim said...

I was just thinking about ya'll today, and wanted to let you know how thrilled I am for the newest bow-headed blessing you are expecting!

You are right, his symptoms sound alot like pregnancy! We are thinking about you often and praying daily.

Kim

Amanda said...

Hi Kelli and Rick!! Just wanted to check in and let you both know that we read your blog regularly and you are all in our daily thoughts!! Congratulations on your baby girl...I know she will be just as beautiful as her sister and brothers!! Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you guys!! Hopefully when things slow down a little we can all get together sometime and we can meet your new little one (when she gets here) and yall can meet Noah!! :) Take care!! :) Love, The Lesters...Amanda, Dallas and Noah!! :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations on another GIRL! That is wonderful news!
I hope the port will be helpful to Rick...my mother didn't like the idea of it but was relieved to not be pricked everyday!
We prayed for you both in our fellowship tonight...God's getting an earful I'm sure!
Can't wait to me your new little one!
love, anna&jack