Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Rick's Update from Indiana Hospital

I met with Dr. Einhorn, an oncologist, at Indiana University Hospital today.  The doctor reviewed all scans and blood work that had previously been done.  The pathology report that I.U. performed confirmed that my cancer is non-seminoma, which is made up of 95% embryonal and 5% yolk sac tumors. The planned treatment is 3 rounds of chemo over 9 consecutive weeks beginning Monday, May 11th. This will be done in Sarasota at Doctor's Hospital on Bee Ridge on an out patient basis. I will go to the hospital for five hours a day for five days in a row, then just 30 minutes once a week for two weeks. This three week cycle will be repeated three times. The first, third and sixth weeks I can expect to be pretty tired, but the other days I could feel pretty good. I am meeting with my oncologist (that Dr. Einhorn recommended) Dr. Mamus in Sarasota this Friday.   
Dr. Einhorn was very optimistic, assuring me that I am definitely in the "good risk" category. I have an appointment in late July with Dr. Einhorn in Indiana for a follow-up check up and CT scan. The doctor fully expects to give me a clean bill of health at that time.        
Thank you all for your prayers and offers for help. It is very humbling to know that my family is surrounded by so many people that love us and are willing to support us as needed. Please continue to pray that the cancer would respond well to the treatment and that God would be glorified through this process.  
Rick & Kelli 

9 comments:

Summer said...

Hi Rick:

I am a former classmate of Kelli's from highschool. My family and I have been praying for you. May the Lord give you and Kelli the strength that you both need during these 9 weeks. "All things work to the good of those that love the Lord and are called according to his purpose." He has a purpose here - and I am so glad that you are glorifying him during this time. Give my love to Kelli! You couldn't ask for a better partner to walk beside you during this journey - she's one tough cookie.

Unknown said...

Nicely done Kelli. It looks great!

molly said...

The blog is great, thank you for your willingness to share information about what is going on. We think of you all often, wish we lived closer. All our love!

Lindsi Niebur said...

Hello,
I am a friend of Molly and Adam's and I am praying for healing for you. May God be with you and your family during this time.

kim said...

Kelli and Rick,

I am Molly and Adams friend Kim. We met years ago when we came and crashed in for our vacation in a hurricane!

Molly has been keeping us updated here in Oklahoma the best she can, but I am so glad that she directed me to your new blog, so I can learn how I can be praying for you specifically.

You are in our thoughts and prayers, and will continue to cover you in prayer throughout the upcoming weeks of chemo.

~kim bevins~

Tom said...

Very good Kelli. Proud of you and Rick! Miss Gloria and I are praying for your family!

Unknown said...

You are all never far from my thoughts and prayers. I love you all so much, lean on each other sweet family, the rest of us have your back. My hope and prayer is to be together again soon. Hugs and Kisses, R

Anonymous said...

Hello from Yellowstone ....we are Jim & Emily (neighbors of Ron & Cheryl Cherry....We have been praying for both you and your family....Hope all is well....God bless!!

The Raislers said...

Hi Kelli:

We are keeping you all in our prayers. God is good all the time and He is faithful even when we don't know our own needs! I'm so happy we can let go and let HIM have the control! We will keep in touch through your blog.

Mary and David Raisler