Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Chemo Milestone

Friends & Family

Well, I have reached a chemotherapy milestone. I have completed 1/3 of my chemo, and my hair has begun to fall out. I am happy and tickled about these things respectively.
       I received my third Tuesday dose of bleomycin this morning and suffered very little ill effects unless you include the drowsiness from the Benedryl that they gave me. I get tired more easily, but am other wise in very good spirits and physical condition. My port worked beautifully this morning and was much more pleasant than five attempts at a vein.
      My hair began to fall out yesterday afternoon. Every time I would run my fingers through my hair, it would come out in bunches. It was making a mess, and getting in my face and mouth, so Kelli cut it all real short. When I woke up this morning there was a bunch of real short hair in my bed, still a mess. At the doctors office, I pinched some hair and pulled out a big patch. By this afternoon, I had splotchy bald spots all over. That looked pretty bad if I do say so myself. So, in order to lose my hair on my terms I shaved my head with a razor.  It feels really cool, and I like to show people that haven't seen it, 'cause I look different. I will not be entering any beauty contests any time soon.


Patches of hair missing!!

All of my hair gone!!!!

      I have already been reassured by the unwavering show of solidarity from my 7 year old nephew Jack, who upon seeing me, immediately had Martin shave his head, and I will tell you that he looks alot cooler than I do.  Andrew and Caleb have not yet seen my new "doo", but they too have expressed an interest in following suit. I miss them already and they just left yesterday with their sister to spend 10 days-2 weeks at Grammie's house in Pensacola. They have been so excited to go, and I know that they will have a blast, but I still miss them. 
      In the mean time, I plan to enjoy my relatively good health and temporary release from parental responsibility to enjoy the greatest gift God has given me besides Christ. Kelli and I are able to be wild and free all week, and that is what we are doing.
      Please continue to keep us in your prayers, and do not worry about us. My prognosis is very good, the treatment is tolerable, we have very much support, and we are willing to accept God's plan for our lives.  Also pray that God would give me the right words to speak to the other cancer patients that I meet at chemo treatment. I often times look around that room and remember that my prognosis is the one that every one in that room is hoping for and most have not gotten. 
      I have read two verses today that have encouraged me. I looked them up because of a great painting that my cousin Lucy sent to me. It is a painting of a sunflower against a blue sky. I am going to display these verses with the painting.

Isaiah 40 : 8
"The grass withers, the flower fades, But The Word of our God stands forever."

      Matthew 6 : 30
" If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?"

Rick     


1 comments:

Marcus in Marshall said...

Rick, love the new hair-do!! Think of all the money you'll save on hair product! :) Glad you're doing well. Your words and verses in your blog inspired me today, as I have been struggling lately with having continued faith in God in regard to some personal issues we're dealing with. Your verses were very appropriate and reassured me that I simply trust God in ALL situations, being confident that He knows what is going on in my life and is in control. Stay strong. Tell Martin he needs to shave his head, too! Marcus