Tuesday, May 19, 2009

chemo update

Friends and Family,

       Well, I can now speak from experience, that Chemo therapy is not fun. Last week I got a dose for a couple hours each day, and by the end of the week I was pretty wiped out. Friday and Saturday I seemed to keep getting worse, with Saturday being the low point. Thankfully, on Sunday afternoon the sick feeling seemed to subside quite a bit, and my condition has been gradually improving. This was very important to me, as I didn't know how much lower I could get, and still go through the surgery on Monday to install my port. 
      The Surgery went very well, and I believe that the whole procedure took less than an hour. A port was inserted under the skin in my chest, an tied into a vein there. This will allow the chemo to be injected here without the need of continuing to stick the veins in my arm. I am very glad to have this, since in is more comfortable, and waterproof so that I can shower and swim.
     Today I received a small dose of chemo, and it is the only treatment I will need until next Tuesday. Right now, I feel better than I have felt in over a week. Please continue to pray that the cancers would shrink, I would handle the treatment, and that my family would remain in good spirits. So far I think that everything has gone well. It is hard to stay downcast for very long because the kitchen counter always has a fresh supply of cards and e-mails from so many people that are praying, hoping, and helping us in so many ways. I don't know how to explain how helpful everyone has been. I didn't realize how nice all the people that I know are, you are much nicer than I have ever been to anyone with cancer, and it is really touching. I am sure that this experience will compel me and my family to be kinder and more caring to others in their struggles. We have truly been helped in ways that we could not have helped ourselves and it is humbling.     
      I would like to say a special thanks to everyone that has brought food. I have not always felt like eating, but the meals have still been a great help and encouragement to Kelli, (who let's not forget is carrying Bennett girl #2, and overseeing the provisions for the current gang) Kelli is holding up great and I am so proud of her strength and love.
Rick
ps.
       I have recently been reminded of this verse that is so true.
                  2 Corinthians 4: 13-18
                            "It is written; I believed therefore I have spoken. With that same spirit of belief we also believe and speak, because we know that the One that raised The Lord Jesus from the dead will also raise us with Jesus and present us with you in His presence. All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God.
       Therefore, we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."   


1 comments:

molly said...

Glad to hear that you are starting to feel not quite as bad and glad to know the surgery went well. Thank you for keeping us up to date. We love you all.