Saturday, May 16, 2009

One week down....8 more to go!


WELL.....we finished our first week of chemo.  In case of you have not read the previous post, Rick had 5 straight days of chemo last week.  We are already seeing the toll this treatment is taking on Rick.  He has the normal nausea, loss of appetite, his mouth taste funny (almost like a metal taste), and a lack of energy.  I understand these are all normal but I was hoping the effects from the drugs would not take place so soon.  


If you have ever had a loved one in pain or suffered from a medical condition you will understand my next statement.  This is emotionally draining for me..... I thought I could handle this better..... I watch my strong, vibrant, humorous husband try to eat his favorite meals, try to play with the kids, try to stay awake during the day....and all these things are so hard for him.  I want to keep our life as normal as possible but in reality....I CAN'T! Things are not going to be the same....my husband has cancer. 

 I am learning more each day about Gods goodness and grace.  He gives me verses to strengthen me daily.  He has surrounded me with strong christians who pray with me and encourage me everyday from his word.  One example of this was  a lady  I met at the cancer center on Thursday of last week.  She was there receiving her chemo treatment and we struck up a conversation about how you get through times like this.  Unaware to me at the time her husband is a retired minister and she is a believer.  We engaged in  a great convesation about Gods soverignty, Gods love for us, and Gods mercy.  She prayed with me and gave me several verses to keep posted around my house.  That day I had no I idea I would meet Mary and that she would encourage me so much......but GOD did!  Isn't he so good?   I post these things to let all of you know that even though we don't always understand what God is up to we must trust him.  

Rick will be having surgery on Monday to have a port put in.  He will also have one chemo treatment on Tuesday morning.  The doctors have warned us that this week and next will be different than first week of chemo.  During these two weeks the chemo that was received last week will really start working, which means his body will feel more of the effects.  Please continue to pray for his body to allow the chemo to kill the cancer cells without all the effects such as nausea, loss of appetite and energy.   

6 comments:

Cherry Family said...

I just want to hug you! Stay strong Kelli!

Allison said...

I stumbled across your blog and felt like God laid it on my heart to reach out to you and your family and to offer some comment that would lift up your spirits or give you hope. Although I have not had cancer personally, I have watched several immediate members of my family battle cancer. With that being said, I know that nothing I can say will ease your pain. Even though I may not have the words to say, just know that I am praying for you and your family during this difficult time.

Phillipians 4:13

molly said...

I can't even begin to imagine what it is like for any of you. We think of you often and wish we could do something. It is terrible, but if at the end of it Rick is cancer free then praise be!!! I know it will be hard, but try to keep your eye on the goal. Take care of each other. All our love.

Motis Family said...

You are in our prayers daily. Thank you for writing and letting us know specifically how to pray. Love you guys!

Connie said...

God Bless you and your family! I met ya'll in the Walmart parking lot when Tom and Gloria Carter gave your Mom a ride down to visit.Gloria caled me and asked for prayer for Rick. I have been praying for your family ever since. I have also placed Rick's name on several prayer lists. Hold on to your faith and God's mercy during these tough times.

Summer said...

Kelli: I wish I were there to pray with you and wrap my arms around you and hug and make dinners and help with your kids - but I'm not. I am however, praying for you. Praying that God will give you strength and the peace that passes all understanding. I love you girl!